Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Day #2 - Sun. June 26, 2016 From Antiqua to Santa Cruz, Lake Atitlan



Day 2 - Sun. June 26, 2016 From Antigua to Santa Cruz, Lake Atitlan
   We woke up in Antigua, Guatemala in the very comfortable El Hostel. For breakfast I had watermelon juice with homemade bread and jam, with a side of fruits (I tried papaya for the first time and it was gross).
   After breakfast, our guide, Rubin (mmm… sandwiches), took us on a tour of the city. He told us about the history of the city and how it used to be the capitol of Guatemala, Guatemala City is the capitol now, before a 7.9 earthquake hit and destroyed the city. He showed and told us about the 19 churches, 12 of which are still active. We heard the church bells ringing for mass to start and we saw the people waiting for church to start. Rubin took us to one of the inactive churches and it was in ruins. The ruins were beautiful though. So beautiful that people often come down from Guatemala City just to get married there. Next he took us to the markets where people in amazing, very ethnic clothing were selling homemade goods such as, headbands, blankets, paintings, dolls, clothing etc. This part of the tour was really hard because I wanted to buy everything I saw. We also saw a lot of dogs on the streets… adorable.


After the AMAZING tour, we hit the road on our way to Atitlan Lake. If I am being honest, I slept most of the way. It was kind of an off and on type of thing. So the things I did see were very mountainous and green with trees, which I personally appreciated greatly because you don’t get to see as many trees in other places in the world. For lunch we stopped at a roadside restaurant with very traditional, and good Guatemalan food. Most of the girls had tortillas with chicken and Guacamole. But I had a crepe with lots of fruits grown around the area. Then we hit the road again. 



   When we got to the lake we were driving downhill, fast, so it made our ears POP as if we were on an airplane. When we got to the bottom on one of the mountains surrounding the lake, we came to a town where we unloaded our things and loaded them onto the boat. We were going to ride to the other side of the lake. The boat ride was really fun because the water was choppy and made the boat bounce up and down. We could also see the water spraying behind us. When we got off of the boat we arrived at our new hostel, La Iguana, and it looked truly magical. There were so many plants I had never seen before growing so many beautiful flowers- even the leaves were interesting. There were also trees growing bananas and limes which was really cool. All in all, it looked like the hostel was plopped in the middle of a paradise. I guess It kind of is. What made the hostel even better was that it is right on the edge of the Atitlan Lake, so you could hear the water slamming against the shores and see the volcanoes in the distance. 


  
   Once we settled in we got to explore the hostel a little more and I saw a dog and a cat. I played with the cat. I don’t know why as I am a dog person, but I named it Penguin. My sister didn’t like the name much. We also saw a most curious room titled Dress Up. So of course we went to investigate the room. Inside we found a whole bunch of dress up clothes people could try on if they wanted to. It was cool, and weird. It was cool and weird. After exploring we went on a hike up a really, really steep mountain to the village of Santa Cruz. My sister and I reckon that the earth was trying to do us in because going up the mountain it was hot. But going down it was cool. The opposite of what we needed it to be. The town was really different. I thought it was especially amazing because of how trusting the town was. Small children could wonder the streets by themselves because the town is completely safe.
   When we got back from Santa Cruz I got ambushed by our troop leader to write an entry on this blog… I hate writing and I am really bad at it. Surprisingly, writing this was really enjoyable. It usually takes ages for me to write. But this was really quick, surprisingly. Oh and we saw a rainbow.
   After writing the blog, we had dinner and it was a really enjoyable meal. We had chard soup with homemade bread, then homemade pizza which was really different as it didn’t have any pizza sauce or cheese. Well it kind of did. It was bread with green seasoning then one slice of mozzarella cheese, on top of one slice of a tomato, on top of one slice of meat. We had that with salad. Then for dessert we had homemade orange cake that was just heavenly. While at dinner we made friends with some people who were here on vacation. They were nice people.
   After dinner I wrote the part of the blog about eating dinner, then I went outside to play cards. – Goodbye
-      K. Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment